It is easy to think that the southern reaches of Utah are the last part of the USA where you might find a luxury retreat. This is a region of desert and dramatic rock formations, where the colossal sandstone rock formations of Monument Valley are an incredible subject for any camera.
But Amangiri does more than survive in this white-hot landscape. It thrives, as a five-star oasis on the edge of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
One of two Aman properties in the USA (the other being Amangani in Jackson Hole, Wyoming), it occupies a rugged but refined 600-acre site, offering 34 suites, each with a private courtyard. The main swimming pool is a true masterpiece, making full use of the setting, pale rock jutting out into the water. And the Aman Spa supplies a real note of relaxation, with its yoga pavilion, floatation therapy pavilion and steam room with cold plunge pool.
The hotel can also organise tours that let guests see the wonders of the area – hot air balloon rides over its arid vistas, or private plane flights that arc over the Grand Canyon; boating trips on Lake Powell, or a private Colorado Rover tour; fly-fishing, hiking, or horseback riding.
- Aman Resorts operates just one other property in the USA, the Amangani in Wyoming. Situated in a peaceful location 10 minutes away from the town of Jackson, this luxury resort provides superb access to the ski slopes of Jackson Hole (it even features an exclusive private Ski Lounge in Teton Village), as well as Grand Teton National Park.
- Salt Lake City, Utah’s state capital, offers old world magnificence at The Grand America Hotel, the city’s only AAA Five Diamond Hotel. Situated in the downtown area, the hotel features The Grand America Spa complete with massage rooms, steam rooms and saunas, contemporary U.S. cuisine at its signature restaurant, The Garden Café, and 775 spacious rooms complete with stunning mountain views.
- Visitors will find luxury at Utah’s ski resorts. The St. Regis Deer Valley in Park City provides ski-in, ski-out access to the slopes of Deer Valley, as well as a split-level infinity pool, hot tubs and an indulgent spa. Park City is also home to the Montage Deer Valley, which has an award-winning spa, plus the Stein Eriksen Lodge, which provides exceptional five star lodging, spa treatments and dining.
- The Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa provides a luxurious stay within close proximity to two of Utah’s five National Parks – Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. Surrounded by the Colorado River near the town of Moab, the resort offers a full-service spa, private horseback rides and fine dining at The River Grill, which utilises produce grown on site.
- Hollywood has long been drawn to the beauty of Utah’s landscapes, a fact reinforced in 1969 when actor, Robert Redford, bought the land now known as Sundance. The Sundance Mountain Resort, less than an hour away from Salt Lake City, offers a private natural retreat with its range of Mountain Homes with optional extras including a private butler and a private chef, all with easy access to outdoor activities including mountain biking and skiing.